[pmwiki-users] Recommended recipes?

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 03:21:16 CDT 2009

Saturday, August 29, 2009, 8:21:08 AM, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> * Restrict the creation of new groups (see
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiGroup)
>   Initially I didn't do this, but I found I had to, because my users
>   couldn't get it through their heads that a link in the form of "A.B"
>   would create a new group "A" with a page "B".

Yes, I noticed the same when you provide a form to create new pages.
To ask users to use a restricted character set when creasting page
names can be too much. This was one reason I prefer to use a Fox form
rather than NewPageBoxPlus, since I can set up the form so users
can enter what they want in the form as a new page title, using any
character, and that is used automatically in the (:title ...:)
directive in the new page, and the page name is automatically derived
from it in the form process, stripping out illegal characters and
simplifying others (important with western european languages: see
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ISO8859MakePageNamePatterns )
alternatively the typed title will be used as title, and the pagename
generated using a serial number (combined with a string or a date if
needed) by using a markup expression (provided in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PowerTools ).

  ~Hans