[pmwiki-users] [[!topic |link text]]

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Apr 29 20:45:21 CDT 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009 02:29:24 John Rankin wrote:
> >> I'm not going to say "yeah" or "nay", just point out that
> >> [[!X]] already becomes the category link... the question (I think)
> >> was with regards to alternative naming of the link.. so
> >> we want to say [[!X|What X is]], which doesn't work.
[...]
> IMO, [[!X|What X is]] should link to the Category.X page
> and display "What X is".
[...]
> IMO this is a bug in pmwiki's category markup rule.

Hi. I believe it is more a "shortcut", than a "bug" : an easier but limited
alternative way to write the markup.

Should we modify PmWiki to make [[!CategoryLinks]] to have all features of
other links, we need to :

* either add a number of new markup rules that will do all possible link
  features (parentheses, suffixes, |alt-text, |+ title, |# number);
  this is if we wish to keep the different link format (css...) of the link,

* or process [[!Links]] like [[~Links]] which are rewritten and re-processed
  later; much easier, but we lose the $LinkCategoryFmt customization,

* or another way I haven't figured out yet.

Comments from the community are welcome : which should we do, and should we at
all. A PITS entry with the discussion might be better than the mailing list
archives.

In case I now need to distribute pages linking to categories with alternative
link text, I'll probably use :
  [[Category.Topic|link text]] or
  [[{$CategoryGroup}.Topic|link text]]

The latter needing a PV declaration in recipe.php :
  $FmtPV['$CategoryGroup'] = '$GLOBALS["CategoryGroup"]'; # untested

Thanks,
Petko