[pmwiki-users] Skin authors : Many PmWiki skins fail to validate

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Mon Apr 6 21:04:04 CDT 2009

Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009 01:36:29 DaveG wrote:
>>  > Petko Yotov schrieb:
>>  > I was surprised to
>>  > find out that in the first 20 skins, 17 failed to validate.
>>
>> The w3 validation doesn't validate skins. It validates HTML pages. The
>> validation results can provide useful direction to both the skin author
>> *and* the specific page that is being validated.
>
> If a page with the same content, but with the default PmWiki skin, validates,
> one could legitimately consider that what does not validate is the skin.
This is simply not accurate. It is possible for a page to use
html/attributes which are valid with one skin and invalid with another.
This does not mean that the skin is somehow invalid.

> I'll be happy to help authors fix their recipes if they are unable or
> unwilling to do it, or disable on pmwiki.org those demos that fail to
> validate.
With respect to skins, I think this is a rather ridiculous statement,
given that it is possible for the content of a web page to cause page to
be invalid for a given skin.