[pmwiki-users] Group Edit broken by default 'edit' password in config.php

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 02:46:46 CDT 2008

2008/10/3 dan mihai <dnmh68 at hotmail.com>:
> Now, HERE IS THE PROBLEM: as soon as I add
>   $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('secret1');
> to config.php, and I reload GPublic, the menu on top left page disapears,
> and when I hit 'Edit' on bottom page I get:
> [...]
> ?unable to retrieve edit form Site.EditForm
> [...]
> Can anyone, please, explain this behavior?

The default read password you've set is inherited by the Site.EditForm
page, and it can't be read to generate the form for editing GPublic.

If by the menu you mean the sidebar on the left, that's disappearing
due to the page Site.SideBar also inheriting the default read
password.

To fix this, add a read password @nopass to Site.Editform and
Site.SideBar. Alternatively, it might make sense to add that read
password to all pages in the Site group by setting it at
Site.GroupAttributes?action=attr

> More importantly, can anyone, please, tell me how to grant password-based
> access
> (including Edit) to a new Group in such a way that the rest of the Wiki is
> not accessible?

You were on the right track, setting read & edit passwords in
GPublig.GroupAttributes?action=attr should make this work.

eemeli