[pmwiki-users] Questions about Sisterly

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:48:50 CST 2008

2008/11/13 Stéphane Heckel <hsteph at club-internet.fr>:
> "Eemeli Aro" wrote :
>
>> In order to better integrate these, I've written and now published
>> Sisterly <http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Sisterly>, which lets me
>> refer to pages on other wikis hosted on the same server using the same
>> markup as for intermap links. So far, it handles page variables, page
>> text variables, page lists and including other pages across wikis.
>
> Looks good ! I didn't get time to test it, ... I have some questions, ...
> - Is is mandatory to have the wikis in Farm ?
>
> My wikis are hosted this way :
> wiki1.acme.com
> wiki2.acme.com
> etc, ...
>
> - Can Sisterly be used in such context ?

Possibly. For example, I'm using it atm to link together
automation.tkk.fi and autsys.tkk.fi. What's important is having both
wikis accessible within the same directory structure.

So if both wiki1.acme.com and wiki2.acme.com are actually on the same
server, then yes, Sisterly will work. If they're on separate servers
then it still might be possible to make Sisterly work by using
something like sshfs <http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html> to
remotely mount the wiki.d directory of wiki2.acme.com within the
wiki1.acme.com filesystem and vice versa.

I find having the wikis in a farm just generally helpful. In my own
use case, these wikis also use the exact same SiteAdmin.AuthUser page
to handle authentication, which means that I don't need to take any
extra precautions about security.

eemeli