[pmwiki-users] concerning GroupAttributes a potential security risk

Swift, Chris Chris.Swift at eu.dodea.edu
Tue Nov 4 04:55:48 CST 2008

Hans,

Good point!  Sorry, I should have added this last part, which would make the problem clearer.  Basically, I have the entire set with $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = crypt('secret_password'); as you said, however, I want people to be able to create pages within a group where they can set their own attributes.  That's what complicated things.  So, I first set in Example.GroupAttributes all of them to @nopass, so people can set their own passwords just for that group.  What I didn't realize is that this automatically makes the Example.GroupAttributes page open to anyone, because its within the Example.GroupAttributes range...if that makes sense.  ;-)

Anyway, the only way that I could still allow people to set their own attributes within that group (via the Example.GroupAttributes) was to setup an autorestore (maybe to run every 15 seconds or so).  I have already installed autorestore for my wikisandbox page, so that's why I posted the other point before.

Do you think the idea of using autorestore for the Example.GroupAttributes is a good method of fixing the problem concerning the openness of Example.GroupAttributes, or do you (or anyone else) recommend a different approach?

Thanks,

Chris