[pmwiki-users] pages with (:redirect:) in group 'PmWiki'

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 12 07:21:09 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:05:02PM +0100, Christian Bartolomaeus wrote:
> So my questions are:
>
> 1.) Would it be okay to tag those pages in PmWiki with a page text
>     variable like
>       (:Redirect: true:)
>     If so, we could filter our list of "relevant" documenation pages
>     based on this page text variable.
>
> 2.) Is there a better way to filter those pages?

We don't need the page variable to do the filter -- one can
also do the following to filter out all pages containing "(:redirect":

    (:pagelist -"(:redirect" :)

On the other hand, since nobody ever sees the pages containing
the redirect, it's okay to put a page variable on them if you
like.  Filtering on "(:redirect" may be faster, though.

> 3.) Would is be okay to delete pages with a simple redirect directive
>     in 'PmWiki' -- after searching for 'back links' and adjusting
>     those? Since there would still be problems with external links to
>     those pages it might be better to keep them.

I don't know that there would be many external links left.  For
example, a Google search for

    "link:www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SimpleTables"

returns no results.  So, in this case it's probably okay to
make sure all of the internal links are correct and then
remove the page.  (And if we discover we're wrong, we can
always put the redirect page back.)

Thanks!