[pmwiki-users] Turing Test for pmwiki

Marcus prima at wordit.com
Tue Jul 15 18:03:44 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Image captures in general, or specifically the ones that the Captcha
> recipe is generating?

Well, both really. Pmwiki is better than many in readability, but too small.

> If just the PmWiki captcha recipe, what sorts
> of complaints are you getting?

1) The field and numbers are really tiny, so many people find it
difficult to see. There should be an easy way to scale the size.

2) Accessibility. There is no audio playback option so that visually
impaired users can listen to the code spoken aloud.

I found an Open Source PHP image captcha which has audio playback of
the captcha code, and it was quite easy to scale the size. Here is the
scaled demo I put up** :

http://tinytuxbox.co.uk/test/captcha/demo.php

The original demo is at:

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/demos/captcha/test.php

The author's page:

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/captcha.html

** Note: My scaling seems to have caused a bug in audio playback, it's
saying more letters than are there, but this does not happen in the
original.

Marcus