[pmwiki-users] Page Names

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jul 15 16:48:50 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 20:28:49 Russell D Jones wrote:
> problem is that PmWiki doesn't seem to support the linking to a page
> titled "George W. Bush" but instead sends the user to the "Bush" page in
> the "George W" group.  The work-around I've been doing is to hunt down
> all these types of links (e.g. [[Franklin D. Roosevelt]], [[Harry S.

You have probably seen these recipes:
  http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewGroupWarning and the related
  http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RecentChangesDeletion

Also, you could use a recipe like New Page Box Plus:
  http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewPageBoxPlus

You can define in the NewPageBoxPlus markup a fixed Group; if the user enters
a page name with dots, the dots are automatically removed.

The (kind of) problem with NewPageBoxPlus or a similar recipe is that new
pages may be "orphans", without any other page linking to them. But, isn't it
easier to place a few links, than to have to move pages around, and to remove
or replace links?

Currently dots and slashes are hardcoded in the PmWiki core, and many
functions, core scripts and recipes depend on them. There are ideas and
wishes to some day be able to have other Group.Page separators such as
double ".." or "//", but it needs global changes to all PmWiki and may not be
implemented in the nearest future.

Now, I am trying to write a recipe that would just transform dots to spaces in
page names or in wiki links prior to the link processing; there are many
things to consider and test, I'll let you know of my progress.

Thanks,
Petko