[pmwiki-users] OT: anybody done a "tinyurl" replacement??

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Thu Jul 10 16:33:03 CDT 2008

Hans wrote:
> Thursday, July 10, 2008, 8:41:19 PM, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:
>
>> Only the wiki admin would be generating new short urls, and there would
>> not be that many (absolute max of 100), so I would expect a page that
>> had a tabular layout of the form:
>
>> shorturl longurl
>> shorturl2 longurl2
>
>> would work just fine.
>
> Hi Neil,
> I may be misunderstanding what you want, but would using
> local/localmap.txt work for you (or local/farmmap.txt on the farm)?
>
> Cheers,
>   ~Hans

Hi Hans

Unless I don't understand intermaps (very possible!), they will not work
for my purposes. I thought an intermap would convert a short phrase on a
Pmwiki page into a URL "prefix".

I want to be able to email somebody a URL like:

http://private.example.com/pmwiki/index.php/page/1234

and when they click it, have them directed to:

http://private.example.com/pmwiki/index.php/GeezThisIsALongGroupName/AndTheSameIdiotMadeAnEvenLongerPageName

or have:

http://private.example.com/pmwiki/index.php/getfile/5678

expand to:

http://private.example.com/pmwiki/uploads/GeezThisIsALongGroupName/guide_to_creating_short_urls_to_reduce_typing_effort.zip

It doesn't need to be part of Pmwiki. It could be a standalone script
accessed by a URL like:

http://private.example.com/url.php/1234

But having it as part of Pmwiki would make maintaining the links easier.
Mind you, I suppose a standalone script could read a page or table
created by Pmwiki.

I am going to stop rambling now ...  ;-)

Neil

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/