[pmwiki-users] Xhtml 1.0 Strict

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 10 15:41:39 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:43:05PM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:

> - The <br clear='all' /> issue seems to be amendable with a {clear:
> both} in the css. Most likely, it might go to the core pm css
> definitions as it is of very common use.

I seem to recall that I've stuck with using <br clear='all'> because
the CSS "clear:both" didn't work correctly in some popular browsers.
I'll have to investigate this again.  If using the CSS attribute
solves things then I think we can switch.

> - Would that target='_blank' issue be solved by simply avoiding the
> use %newwin% in text? As Petko correctly wrote, the target='_blank'
> attribute is not geared towards accessibility. The markup *does* prove
> useful at times, and the functionality should be kept.
> Simply, if one does not use it, the page should validate as Strict, am I wrong?

You're correct.  It's also possible in config or a page to pre-define
the %newwin% markup so that it doesn't generate target=... in
links.

> - There is a recurring error: Document type does not allow element
> "input" here; missing one of "p", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6",
> "div", "pre", "address", "fieldset", "ins", "del" start-tag.
> That is something I have no clue about.

XHTML 1.0 requires all <input> elements to be wrapped in a paragraph,
header, div, or equivalent.  In particular, list items (<li>) and
table cells (<td>) aren't considered sufficient wrapping for
<input> elements.  I'm not quite sure what to do about this one.