[pmwiki-users] Form-based means of creating new wikigroup, otherwise forbidden?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:04:25 CST 2008

There are three ways of limiting the creation of new wikigroups
spelled out on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LimitWikiGroups.  I
think I'd like to see if anyone can suggest yet another.  For sure,
I'd like to have a wiki that will only allow creation of a new
wikigroup via some method that will prevent it from being done
accidentally -- e.g. via a form, or maybe via work in the browser's
address bar.

Some of my clients have and use their admin passwords, but are
consistently sloppy enough to routinely create new wikigroups by
accident.  So they have wikigroups with pages like St.PatricksDay, or
PartyOneVs.PartyTwo.  I do want to make it possible for them to create
new groups, just not by accident like that, by following a link like
[[Mr.Nobody]].

I think there was discussion, once before, of possibly having a pop-up
warning -- something like "Note that by creating this page, you will
be creating a new wikigroup named {*$Group}; if that is not your
intention, press cancel.", but I don't believe the code for that was
ever developed -- was it?  That would certainly be better than
nothing, and maybe truer to the wiki way than outright forbidding
new-group creation.

Thoughts?