[pmwiki-users] cookbook "ShellTools" (was: Include specific lines of text on a page)

Peter & Melodye Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sun Jan 20 16:51:15 CST 2008

> I've tested it on files containing more and less lines than are in the n=x
> option.  I've tested it to a single level of nesting.  As mentioned, I
> have not tested it on text containing parentheses which might confuse the
> markupexpr.php parsing engine...

My apologies to Mr. Markupexpr.php -- he robustly handles parenthesis and
doesn't even blink at the nesting.  "Piping" seems to work effectively in
this simple test case.

{(tail n=5 (tail prefix="Lines from PAGENAME:" n=3 file1 file2 file3))}

This gives the last line of file2, a prefix line of "Lines from file3:" and
then the last 3 lines of file3 -- all that totals 5 which is the number of
lines the outer (tail...) was looking for.

I put lines at the end of file1, file2, and file3 that had parens and there
was no difficulty at all.

-Peter