[pmwiki-users] OT: Permanent redirects

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Jan 17 20:44:24 CST 2008

Questions:

Is there any way to see what permanent redirects affecting my domain are
recorded? Can they be undone?

History:

I was trying to get a subdomain to point to a subdirectory, using
CPanel, and then I played with CPanel's redirect page. I also copied an
.htaccess file from a working subdomain that has cleanURLs, and what was
supposed to be the line:
#RedirectMatch permanent /websites http://www.websites.onebit.ca/

So there are at least two ways a permanent redirect could have happened,
and I just know I saved a typo or ten.

The first sign I had of a problem was when FireFox insisted that
onebit.ca/websites was really websites.onebit.ca .

By this point, I'm not sure which direction gravity pushes, let alone
what all I've looked at, touched, edited, copied, typoed, etc.

I think things have been fixed, at least on the server, and were in a
bad state for only a few hours. CPanel's subdomain and redirect pages
are clear. FireFox was fixed by clearing the private data. The .htaccess
file has been deleted. The wiki field is in a new subdirectory,
websites.onebit.ca doesn't exist, and onebit.ca/websites has a "being
upgraded" note, at least until I'm ready to tackle it again.

But I'm still worried. I read this in the CPanel documentation:

Permanent - This tells the Internet traffic agents to go to the
redirection address in the future, as the old address will never be used
again.

I've also read something similar in .htaccess documentation.

It seems very untidy to have old instructions hanging about in the
ether, and is vaguely unsettling.

Thanks in advance,

Sandy