[pmwiki-users] PmWiki and Spam

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 8 17:23:27 CST 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 11:37:28PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Tegan Dowling wrote:
>
>> I agree -- if Simon, XES, Petko and Anno were to tire, the site would
>> become
>> wall-to-wall spam within hours.  it's time for a password or captcha.
>
> Have you tried adding terms to Site.Blocklist?

I assume they have.  The problem with Site.Blocklist is that it's
reactive, rather than preventative: one can only know what things
to add to the Blocklist *after* one has been spammed.  Which means
that it is good for preventing *repeat* offences, but not for stopping
the initial attacks. And the attacks are always changing.  Hence,
the tiring work involved at keeping a prominent site like pmwiki.org
spam-free.

Kathryn Andersen