[pmwiki-users] categories in different languages

Pico Ben-Amotz pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Mon Feb 25 22:22:50 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Peter & Melodye Bowers
<pbowers at pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a system that tracks books published in the shqip language.
> However, many of those involved in publishing (and donors, etc.) prefer to
> work in English.  As I categorize the books I'm realizing that I'm ending up
> with a parallel system of categories in each language that is going to be
> very difficult to keep consistent.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas how to handle a situation like this?  Right now
> every piece of information I'm entering is being entered twice so we have
> the information in both languages.  If somebody forgets to fill in a field
> for one of the languages in most fields that's not a big deal, but if
> someone forgets to fill in the category in both languages then all of a
> sudden I'm out of sync.
>
> Maybe some sort of translation table for the category names and then keep
> the categories themselves in just one language but use some markup to look
> them up and display them in the other?  Seems complicated…

You can use a category group with page names in one language and
supply the second language information in a Page Text Variable saved
in that category page name.  You can automate the process, for
existing categories by using a drop down (select) input form to choose
a category in one language (page name) or the other (PTV).  To create
new categories, you can provide a text box form that prompts for both
the page name and the PTV value before creating the new category page
with PTV.  To make these forms work, you'll need to use a forms
processing engine, like FOX.

For more details and samples take a look at
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxCat

Pico