[pmwiki-users] categories in different languages

noskule noskule at gmx.net
Mon Feb 25 06:16:57 CST 2008

Peter & Melodye Bowers schrieb:

> I’m working on a system that tracks books published in the shqip
> language. However, many of those involved in publishing (and donors,
> etc.) prefer to work in English. As I categorize the books I’m
> realizing that I’m ending up with a parallel system of categories in
> each language that is going to be very difficult to keep consistent.

yes very true.

> Does anybody have any ideas how to handle a situation like this? Right
> now every piece of information I’m entering is being entered twice so
> we have the information in both languages. If somebody forgets to fill
> in a field for one of the languages in most fields that’s not a big
> deal, but if someone forgets to fill in the category in both languages
> then all of a sudden I’m out of sync.

You could make categproes mandatory, if you use fox formengine this
should also be possible
* http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RequireCategory

> Maybe some sort of translation table for the category names and then
> keep the categories themselves in just one language but use some
> markup to look them up and display them in the other? Seems complicated…

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MultiLanguage
* notice the part where the xl pages are switched
|if ($_COOKIE['userlang'] == 'XX') {|
| XLPage('XX','PmWikiXX.XLPageXX');|

you can define your own xl page and use it for category translation. The
disantvatage here is that you cant use free tagging in other language
than english, than you have to do the translation manualy. But at least
its consitent.

grz ben