[pmwiki-users] Single-quote bug - more information

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 20 09:17:33 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 07:51:11PM -0600, Norma J Dowell wrote:
>    The Problem:
>
>    When a single-quote is put into a page for emphasis and "Save" is clicked,
>    two single-quotes now appear.
>
>    Click save again, now there are four single-quotes.
>
>    Click save yet another time, now there are 8 single-quotes
>
>    Click again?  Now there are 16 single-quotes...and on and on.
>
>    Any ideas what might be the problem here?  Could upgrades in PHP make this
>    happen?

My guess is that your PHP installation has the "magic_quotes_sybase"
option enabled.  The easiest way to check this is to set

    $EnableDiag = 1;

in your local/config.php, then invoke PmWiki with ?action=phpinfo .
In the page that results, look for an option named "magic_quotes_sybase"
and make sure it's set to "Off".  If it's set to "On", then any single
quotes that appear in input will have an extra quote added in front
(and there's not much that PmWiki can easily do about this at the
moment).

If there's a url that we could look at, we could probably help
troubleshoot that a bit further also.

As to how this could change suddenly, it could be the result of
a PHP upgrade or a change made to the global PHP configuration
file (normally called 'php.ini').

Hope this helps,