[pmwiki-users] unmatched parenthesis error = old PHP and Apache?

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Sat Feb 16 16:31:49 CST 2008

I just installed the current beta of PmWiki for a client hosted at
mysite.com, a host I've never worked with before, and I'm getting some
perplexing messages.  For example, if you go to
http://oksustainabilitynow.org/cgi/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Calendar
you get

Warning: Compilation failed: unmatched parentheses at offset 8 in
/www/cgi/pmwiki/pmwiki.php on line 1495

the first time, but if you reload it comes up just fine.  (Needless to
say there are no unmatched parentheses at that location.)

Furthermore, if you go to a page that doesn't exist, such as
http://oksustainabilitynow.org/cgi/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Foo.Bar

you get a much uglier Internal Server Error -- the server seems unable
to handle 404 errors the way that PmWiki likes.

I suspect these problems may be due to the ancient version of PHP they
are running, 4.2.1 ... and the equally ancient version of Apache,
1.3.26, though both of these theoretically meet PmWiki's prerequisites.
  Am I on the right track, or is something else going on?  Thanks in
advance!  --Ben S.