[pmwiki-users] cookbook: HttpVariables (back onlist)

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 12:46:40 CST 2008

I brought this back on list for others to be able to
contribute also, I hope I don't offend you.

--- Randy <randy at brownragfilms.com> wrote:
> The documentation is much clearer now.

Thanks, you inspired me well. :)

> Including at least one functional example that
> doesn't use obscure (except to programmers)
> terms like "foo" and "bar" would help newbies.
>
> For example, Get can be used to divide a page into
> parts to read:
>
> (:if !equal {$?partToRead} "part2":)
>   You didn't just click on part 2.
>
>   [[{$FullName}?partToRead=part2|View part 2...]]
>
> (:if equal {$?partToRead} "part2":)
>    You just clicked on part 2.
>
>   [[{$FullName}?partToRead=part1|Back to part 1...]]
> (:ifend:)

Those are good examples, since you might have a better
"newbie" perspective, feel free to add such examples
to the bottom of the recipe!!  Also, there is an
example link that perhaps you haven't followed (and
perhaps needs better highlighting)?

> Get seems pretty powerful. Why isn't it more widely
> used? Am I missing something?

It is, in fact, if you look at normal pmwiki pages,
they are referenced with GET, ie:
pmwiki.php?n=Group.Name

But, I agree, a lot more customization could
creatively be done with it, thus the recipe! :)

> You might add section viewing as one of the
> questions answered by the page. There must be all
> sorts of other questions answered - adding
> some will help people like me to realize the value
> of the recipe.

Again, if you have ideas like this, please feel free
to enhance the recipe page.

> I still don't know how to use Post, but my
> impression from the documentation is that unless one

> knows about the internals of forms
> and javascript, it's useless. I assume it's beyond
> my current skill level. If that's not correct, the
> documentation needs clarification.

It really is not that much different from GET, it
simply cannot be added to links, it normally requires
a form.

-Martin