[pmwiki-users] Pagelists of multiple linkbacks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 00:48:07 CDT 2008

[resending, as many of my messages of August 11th got lost in transit.  --Pm]

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 01:15:22AM +0200, noskule wrote:
>> This is a planned feature but it doesn't exist yet.  On
>> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/RoadMap it's given as
>> "Allow link= option to do wildcards".
>>
> It would be relay great if this feature would be implemented. I vote for
> it to implement it as soon as possible. So a user could simply search
> after multiple categories.

It's not as easy to implement as it might sound at first, which
is (partially) why it hasn't been done yet.

>> However, I'm seriously considering Christian Ridderström's
>> suggestion for being able to do set operations on pagelists:
>>     (:pagelist link=Category.Personal     save=list1 :)
>>     (:pagelist link=Category.Professional save=list2 :)
>>     (:pagelist from=list1+list2 count=15 list=blog order=-ctime :)
>>
> hm, what would be the benefit/usecase  of this method, compared to
> wildcards?  The only thing I see is that it isn't possible to exclude
> categories.

The biggest benefit is that this is easier to implement, plus it
allows greater flexibility than simple wildcards in links.  For
example, it would be possible to say arbitrarily complex things
like "all pages in category ABC that aren't on trail DEF" and
the like.