[pmwiki-users] Silent failure of ?action=edit

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 20 09:43:17 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:16:31AM +0100, Paul Reeve wrote:
>    I have just transferred my PmWiki site to a new hosting service.  Whilst
>    the site functions normally, page editing silently fails: blank page
>    content, no errors in web-server log, no errors in host error logs,
>    nothing obvious in ?action=diag.  I use the Blix skin and interestingly
>    the site action options ("Edit", "Print", etc.) are also missing from the
>    otherwise perfectly displayed pages, although they are displayed under the
>    default skin.
>
>    safe-mode is off.  777 access to the uploads/ and wiki.d/ directories is
>    in place and a simple PHP script can create files in both directories (as
>    can cookbook/thumblist2 from within PmWiki).
>
>    Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Does ?action=attr fail also?

Often silent failures (blank pages, no errors) is an indication that
there's something wrong with the PHP session configuration.  Try
?action=diag and see if sessions are enabled.

If the system is running on a Windows server then definitely check
the value of session_save_path.  Actually, check it for a Unix server
as well... but it's very common that PHP doesn't set a valid session
save path in Windows.

If that's not it, let us know and we'll suggest some other stuff.