[pmwiki-users] LinkCSSToolTip + Pagelist by Title takes long to parse...

Peter & Melodye Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Wed Apr 16 14:04:09 CDT 2008

> Very smart, it would seem, but I run into a problem: I need to select
> pages by *title* (not name of the page), and it seems that the
> pagelist function takes 10 to 20 seconds to parse those 150 pages in
> the group, which is far too long as it happens at *every* page load.
> Actually, there are not thousands of pages. Nevertheless I noted a
> sheer increase in page loading time.
>
> Is there any way to circumvent such an issue?

You could create a static pagelist (or static pagelists) for quick viewing.
Obviously the problem is if you change a title or delete or add a page then
you've got to remember to regenerate the lists.

If that might be an acceptable compromise you can look at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiShExamples#StaticPageListA

Presumably you would do 1 of 3 things to solve your specific difficulty
moving from this example:
(1) Create 26 different pages, each containing a list of the pages with a
title starting with the appropriate letter
(2) Create a list of the titles & pagenames of all pages on the system and
then parse that list with grep & cut

Then you would probably want to create some sort of administrative page with
some wikish_button calls which would regenerate the various pages.

If this is of interest and if the static solution is acceptable I can expand
the example on the WikiShExamples page to come closer to what you need.

-Peter