[pmwiki-users] Workaround for fox form redirection problem

Randy Brown randy at brownragfilms.com
Sun Apr 13 11:23:34 CDT 2008

Hans,

To the extent that I understand Foxedit's model (which is barely) it
seems that Foxedit's recent changes make it incompatible with my wiki
design.

My calling (which are usually also my target) pages conceptually look
like this:

[ADD-A-LINE-LINK] === Section header === [EDIT-SECTION-LINK]
lines-formatted-by-template
or
arbitrary text

The old Foxedit (that is, Fox with action=foxedit and Foxedit itself)
allowed me to make both of the above links work in a way that focused
the user's attention, as follows:

1) THE-ADD-A-LINE-LINK: leaves the calling page and goes to the edit
form page. (If I knew how to make a modal pop up edit window, I would
do it that way instead.)

2) THE-EDIT-SECTION-LINK: uses foxedit's section editing to provide a
separate-page window into a section, so that the user is only editing
the section. The section's lines might contain anything arbitrary,
including PTVs.

Some problems that now arise:

a) In the new version, my forms can not provide error recovery - a
second chance to enter input - since the form and its calling page are
not co-visibile. (Actually, this didn't work in the old version
either: that's why I had asked for a workaround. But apparently, it's
not intended to work.)

b) I was using the default edit section form as an error message
rather than for a form, since users could leave whatever form they
were on accidently (for example via a link to change the group while
keeping the pagename and action the same). The default "form", which
always seems to appear when that happened, told them to press the
browser's back button - it's kludgy, but it worked. Thus I need to
specify a section edit form different from and in addition to the
default. It's the best I can do given that PmWiki has no modal popup
form capability.

c) You mention referring to anchored sections as PTVs. Does that mean
I should not (or cannot) continue to use section editing for non-PTV
text? Perhaps the section edit functionality is not intended for
arbitrary text? Surely I misunderstand you.

In summary, it would be a shame if I can no longer use Foxedit with my
design, but I'll understand if my design is not what Foxedit is meant
to do. If it's not, any suggestions on other recipes to accomplish
what I want would be appreciated.

Randy