[pmwiki-users] Simple question - best way to attach database to show in table

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Tue Sep 25 17:37:42 CDT 2007

Jon Fowler wrote,
> I have a database of publications I want to do the following:
>

>    - Show data from the database in a table on a wiki page
>    - I want to be able to format the table's font, size, etc.
>    - I want the database to be in a simple format that most people can
>    edit i.e. csv, xls or mdb
>    - I want the table on the WIki page to update when the database
>    updates

Hi, Jon.  If the database is in MySQL, then the SelectQuery recipe is
the easiest way to go.  You can format the font, size, etc. in your
skin's stylesheet.

If you need more flexibility, the DataQuery recipe is far more
configurable and powerful, gives you much more control over how the
information is displayed, and allows you to edit as well as display the
data, and to limit who can view or edit which data.

However, neither recipe makes the data available in csv, xls, or mdb...
just HTML, which copies and pastes pretty well into Excel or OpenOffice.
  If you need to be able to export to a file, your best bet is probably
phpMySQL... set up a guest account there and direct people to the export
page for the relevant table.

Hope this helps.  --Ben S.