[pmwiki-users] Search

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 20 16:46:16 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 12:58:49PM -0400, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> The wiki that I am setting up is to be a technical information portal in
> my office. At the moment, the office already has hundreds of technical
> documents (in PDF, DOC, etc formats) that are currently saved on one of
> the servers. I am looking for a way to integrate them into the
> information portal. The most important goal for me is to find a way for
> the users to search all the documents (whether a part of the wiki or
> not) on the servers.

[snip]
> An even better solution would be if the search engine could be asked to
> index and search documents which may not be a part of the wiki... Is
> that beyond the scope of the wiki?

Yes, it is beyond the scope of the wiki.
I have a similar problem with the wiki I administer for our office
intranet; some things are on the wiki and some things aren't.
What I've done is to set up an external search engine (I'm using
swish-e(1)) which indexes the whole server, and then alter the
$SearchBoxFmt so that it creates a form which points to the external
search rather than the PmWiki search.

(goes and looks on www.pmwiki.org for documentation of $SearchBoxFmt and
fails)

Okay, I've added a small note on
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageLists
which talks about $SearchBoxFmt -- could be improved, but something is
better than nothing.

[1] http://www.swish-e.org/

Kathryn Andersen