[pmwiki-users] RSS and "feeds.php"

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:35:46 CDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Graham Archer <Graham.Archer at sun.com> wrote:
>  I am having some difficulty with RSS and the updates not being
> detected/shown by my reader
>  after the initial subscription.
>
>  I want changes made to the wiki to be picked up by my RSS reader (Mozilla
> Thunderbird)
>
>  In my local/config.php:
>
> ##  The feeds.php script enables ?action=rss, ?action=atom, ?action=rdf,
>  ##  and ?action=dc, for generation of syndication feeds in various formats.
>   if ($action == 'rss') include_once('scripts/feeds.php');
>   if ($action == 'atom') include_once('scripts/feeds.php');
>  # Atom 1.0
>   if ($action == 'dc') include_once('scripts/feeds.php');
>  # Dublin Core
>   if ($action == 'rdf') include_once('scripts/feeds.php');
>  # RSS 1.0
>  When I add ?action=rss to the end of a wikipage url and subscribe to the
> RSS reader I get
>  a small flurry of updates (3 in total) showing some changes. Then - even
> though I make changes to the
>  wiki page - no further updates are picked up by the Reader.
> .
> .
> .
>
>  Hello,
>
>  I just realised there is an archive for the previous posts....
>  I searched it and found this one:
>
> http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2007-June/044157.html
>
>  It seems my Reader is only looking at the URL, and since it doesn't change
> there are no updates.
>  However PM's neat little trick works a treat....Thanks..!!

Yes, PM wrote:
'Some aggregators key updates to the urls in the feed, and since page
urls don't change when there's an update, the aggregator never
notices. In these cases we have to "trick" the aggregator into seeing
a different url every time a page is updated. I think this can be done
with something like: $FeedFmt['rss']['item']['link'] =
'{$PageUrl}?when=$ItemISOTime'; '

If this works for you, can you explain how it's used?  Does this go
into local/config.php, and if so, where -- above or below the
rss-enabling code?  Once this bit is added, does the URL address of
the feed that you plug into your feed-reader need to change somehow?

Thanks!