[pmwiki-users] Need to Enter Password Repeatedly?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 6 15:27:32 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:15:46PM -0400, Jesse M. Heines wrote:
> Apologies for a newbie question, but I have just sent up a very simple site.
> It works fine, but the problem is that I must repeatedly enter the password
> every time I click the Edit link and I must reenter it every time I save a
> change.  This can't be right, but PmWiki behaves this way for me with
> site-wide, group-wide, and page-specific passwords.

Chances are that there's something wrong with the server's
handling of PHP sessions.

If you're running on a windows-based server, you may need to
explicitly set the session.save_path configuration variable,
as a lot of times the default doesn't work with Windows.
This can be set in the php.ini configuration file, or it can be set
in local/config.php via something like:

    session_save_path('C:\\TEMP');

If it's on a Unix-like platform, then you've already narrowed it
down to problems with sessions -- make sure that the webserver has
write access to whatever directory is being used for session.save_path
(normally /tmp ).

If neither of those help, is there a url we could look at?