[pmwiki-users] Educational Uses of PM Wiki

Mike Shanley up at upisup.com
Thu Sep 6 14:53:54 CDT 2007

David Fionda wrote:
> Hello All
>
> A couple of questions...
>
> 1.) I am trying to set up PMWiki  for use with multiple classes. Each
> class will have their own wiki.  SHould i use category pages to do this?
The easiest way would be to use groups... So all pages for different
classes would be linked to like this: [[AmericanHistory/Homework1]] and
[[WorldHistory/Quiz3]]. With this setup, you could use the Main group
for your policies: [[Main/Grading]] and [[Main/BiographyOfMrDave]].

If you don't want people from different classes to even SEE the rest of
the classes stuff, you can create a wikifarm... which is pretty easy,
but a little out-of-the-way as far as these things go.

> 2.)  I want to embed PM WIki into another application, Is there some
> reference to do that?
Do you mean into another INTERNET application? Or into Powerpoint? The
first is possible, but will take some work. The second is not possible.

> 3.)  Also, can I create a page in another application other than PM
> WIki. WHich script should I run to do that?
There are scripts in the cookbook to convert from microsoft word, excel,
and possibly a few others in the cookbook. It's not that efficient
however. Better would be to create your pages in PmWiki using the
DocumentIndex as your guide. You can do everything (and more ;) with it
anyway.

If you need images or other such niceities in your pages, you can easily
attach them to the page.

If you could be more specific with your needs, the people around here
could better help you... But I hope my answer helped a bit. I've seen a
few teachers around here (myself included) that use PmWiki in different
ways.

-Mike