[pmwiki-users] Hiding the edit button (:if auth admin:)

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 10:48:30 CDT 2007

Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 4:37:10 PM, Matt Strauser wrote:

> What is your advice some good ways to hide the "Edit" button on a site that
> is not being used for collaboration?

> I have been using (:if auth admin:) to hide buttons but at least one button
> has to be visible to prompt for the admin's or editor's password.

> The real question may be not how do you hide it, but how do you display it
> for the editor? or...
> How do you get the password prompt to come up?

I have been chiefly using (:if auth admin:) or (:if auth edit:) to
hide all kinds of action links for some sites.
On those sites I have used a link to login as admin or editor in the
low left corner of the site footer, so it is very unobtrusive.
For one client who even did not want this link to show I still put it
into the low left corner, but made the link color the same as the
background, so it appears as invisible. Only when you move the mouse
over it can you see it as a link in the status bar.

  ~Hans