[pmwiki-users] collecting e-mail addresses for a newsletter

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 12:54:29 CST 2007

Thursday, November 29, 2007, 1:34:21 PM, Jabba Laci wrote:

> - Do you know a module that can do this?
> - How to store the result securely? That is, the file containing the
> addresses should be hidden from outside.
> - Next step: what is the simplest way for sending newsletters?

You can do it with Fox:

1. Create a fox form which adds the email addresses to SiteAdmin.NotifyList or
some other page holding the list. Use the format of
notify=emailaddress as a template (I usually add a line delete key as
well for easier maintenance). Something like this:

(:fox notifyform #bottom target=SiteAdmin.NotifyList redirect={*$FullName} formcheck=from:)
(:messages:)
$[Enter email address]:
(:input text from size=25:)
(:input submit name=post value='$[Subscribe]':)
(:foxtemplate " notify={$$from} group=News {[foxdelline Remove]}":)
(:foxend notifyform:)

2. The page with the notify list can be read protected for visitors,
but still better have the list after a conditional markup with
(:if auth admin:), then it will not be inside the HTML source of the
page (i.e. never served).

3. You could create the newsletter as a wiki page, and have it
automatically send when the page is saved. You could use FoxNotify for
this, with the notify list being used for creating the addresses.
Pmwiki Notify or FoxNotify is fine if you don't have too many
subscribers. One problem with automatic sending on save may be that a
page is rarely finished first at time save, and needs additional
edits.

I could imagine a fox form could be built which will trigger
the actual sending of the page content, as email, to the subscriber list.
I.e. you have a form with a "Send Newsletter" button. I need to give
this some more thought though.

With FoxNotify you have the possibility to send out notify emails
which contain the whole text of a message posted. See more at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxNotify

But obviously the simplest way may be to use your email software and
put your subscriber list as BCC recipients... if you have just a few.
If there are lots, then PmWiki is not a good choice to handle the email
serving, and you need to use some other software.

  ~Hans