[pmwiki-users] Defaulting PmWiki to utf8

The Editor editor at fast.st
Wed Nov 14 13:17:03 CST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 11:36 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> Since its inception, PmWiki has used iso-8859-1 (aka 'Latin-1')
> as its default character set.  There are a variety of reasons for
> this, but the primary reason has been that PHP and its associated
> libraries have not had sufficient support for utf8 to work well.
>
> However, that's no longer the case, and PmWiki now has very good
> support for utf8.  So, there has been off-and-on discussion that
> perhaps PmWiki should be configured for utf8 by default, with
> iso-8859-1 as a language option for sites that want to use it.

I'm curious Pm whether this will affect the minimum php requirements for
PmWiki. For instance, is this UTF support available in earlier versions of
PHP 4.0, or will we now have to have a 5.0 server?  I'm also curious about
the various recipes that use php functions that do not work properly in UTF.
Perhaps you could review the implications of these changes for us in these
two areas.

Otherwise, I think switching to UTF would be a great step for PmWiki!

Cheers
Dan