[pmwiki-users] Punctuation in Titles

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 14:44:00 CDT 2007

On Nov 3, 2007 2:28 PM, Liz Castro <lcastro at cookwood.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to PMWiki, and I've gone through a fair bit of documentation
> but couldn't figure out how to add special characters to my page
> titles... not *very* special, like accents and copyright symbols, but
> moderately special like periods, apostrophes and commas. Basically,
> my titles are getting broken up in ways I don't want them to be.
>
> Is it just not possible to have those characters in my page titles,
> or can I escape them somehow?

Hi, Liz:

A page **name** has to follow some pretty strict rules, because it has to
function as part of the page's URL, and most non-alphanumeric characters are
either forbidden in URLs or reserved for other uses.  But a page **title**
is something else entirely, and can be just about anything you like.  If you
don't explicitly assign a page title, the wiki will use the pagename for its
title as well, but if you are consistent about creating titles for your
pages, you can set various elements, like the breadcrumbs and headings in
GroupHeader pages and so forth, to use the titles rather than the page
names.

Set a page's title with:

(:title Page's Title Can Go Here? änd be Formätted Any-Old Way!!:)

The rules for forming the title are to begin with
(:title

followed by a space, and then the string that will be the actual title, and
followed at the end by
:) (that's a colon and closing parenthesis, if your email converted that
into a smiley)

If you are using a v2.1 recipe, you might want to make a habit of keeping
your titles at the very bottom of each page, since the rule was that the
last title wins, and this way if you include one page in another, the page's
own title will be below the one that arrives via inclusion.