[pmwiki-users] Flexible $DiffKeepDays [was: Urgent -- Memory size exausted - line 660]

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 31 11:04:32 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 05:04:08PM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> Is there no way to tell the system something like: "apply the
> $DiffKeepDays = nn; rule only for files beyond a certain size..."? (or
> something similar...)

The purpose of using time instead of size to limit the history has been
to prevent someone from effectively causing things to "fall off" the
end of the page history by issuing a bunch of small changes in
rapid succession.  If we limit the page history by its size alone,
that opens up an opportunity for a malicious author to "erase history"
by making a bunch of posts that cause the page history to grow beyond
the limit.

But I'm guessing you're asking for something slightly different --
i.e., keep a minimum amount of history at all times, and only use
the $DiffKeepDays rule when that minimum is exceeded.  Then,
presumably, $DiffKeepDays could be kept small but would only
affect pages that have lots of changes.

That has possibility, but there's still the caveat that if
$DiffKeepDays is set too small, then a malicious author could
still use a lot of posts to cause history to expire (at least
the part that is older than the small value of $DiffKeepDays).