[pmwiki-users] New ZAP Profile Vars...

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu May 31 08:38:29 CDT 2007

On 5/31/07, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> In fact, if Pm should only add to the core an option for ZAP's default
> login approach tied to encrypted password field in a users profile
> page. It seems that's about all you would really need to replicate
> ZAP's basic member management system. Just a thought for those who
> don't really want all the fire power in ZAP.

I have to disagree with this: PmWiki changing its core behavior to
adopt ZAP. First, you've already stated that ZAPWiki is to be an
improvement on PmWiki, but not a fork. What I'm reading is that you
want Pm to do the coding for your fork, which is unethical IMHO.
ZAPWiki is a fork.[1]

Second, changing the core is supposed to follow a compelling reason.
If the entire community lobbied for a change, or if the change was a
logical progression of an implemented, core feature, then the core
should shift. AuthUser is the core user authentication mechanism. You
should be able to shoehorn your security hole^H^H^H protocol into
AuthUser rather than try to have PmWiki provide a new security
mechanism.

I'm afraid the "default login approach" is akin to the wiki clock.[2]

What amazes me is you assert ZAPWiki is a 'floor-up' design, yet
you're basing it off of PmWiki, which suggests your "floor-up" starts
in the penthouse, not the foundation.[3]

[1]: http://www.fast.st/zapbeta/index.php?n=Support-Engine/HomePage
[2]: http://pageoftext.com/wikiclock
[3]: http://www.fast.st/zapbeta/index.php?n=Support-Engine/Overview

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill