[pmwiki-users] Basics

Ian MacGregor lists at imacgregor.com
Thu May 31 02:02:08 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 10:26:13 pm Marcin Jakubowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed PMWiki on a free shell account, freeshells.ch/~ose.
>
> When I try to edit, I am informed about incorrect file write
> permissions. First, where do I put the wiki.d directory? I am putting
> it in the
>
> /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki-2.1.27
If you're going to use this exact path, then you need to specify this
in /local/config.php. Otherwise, PmWiki is expecting:

/home/ose/public_html/pmwiki  and not  /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki-2.1.27

> directory.
>
> Then the following happens:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ chmod 777 /wiki.d
> chmod: /wiki.d: No such file or directory
>
> Then I type
>
> -bash-2.05b$ chmod 777 wiki.d
>
> and that appears to be accepted.
>
> Then I go to
> http://freeshells.ch/~ose/pmwiki-2.1.27/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.BasicEditing?ac
>tion=edit
>
> and I am not able to edit:
>
> "PmWiki can't process your request
>
> PmWiki needs to have a writable wiki.d/ directory before it can
> continue. You can create the directory manually by executing the
> following commands on your server:
>
>     mkdir /wiki.d
>     chmod 777 /wiki.d
> Then, reload this page.
> We are sorry for any inconvenience."
>
> Any suggestions? I thought the directory already exists, and its
> permissions are correct.
I think it's a path problem. You
have /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki-2.1.27/wiki.d but PmWiki is looking for
wiki.d in /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki. I would change the PmWiki install
path from /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki-2.1.27
to /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki and then:

mkdir /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki/wiki.d && chmod
777 /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki/wiki.d

Ian MacGregor