[pmwiki-users] reposting re registering, etc.

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Tue May 29 17:19:19 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 06:01:54PM -0400, Marguerite Floyd wrote:
> "1. I would like anyone at all to read/view the site.
This is so by default; one simply refrains from locking down "read"
permission.

> 2. I would like anyone who wants to edit content, put stuff on the
> calendar, or make a comment about content to register.  And while
> they're registering to click a box/button saying they've read the
> disclaimer.
>
> 3. I would then like a handful of people to be "editors," who have the
> authority to clean up content if necessary, remove inaccurate stuff,
> add important stuff.  These would be the same as, I guess, moderators.
>  Using Authuser I can just add those folks' names and passwords.

I'm not entirely clear about the difference between #2 and #3.
Either you can edit, or you can't edit.  What "extra" level of editing
permissions would the moderators have?  Are you saying that they would
be able to edit more pages than "normal" editors, or what?

As for #2, self-registering can be done with the HtpasswdForm[1] recipe,
but it doesn't have the ability to force people to click a button saying
they've read the disclaimer.

And if you're going to allow random people to register, it's probably a
good idea to also use the Blocklist[2] feature to help block spammers.
Oh, and the URL Approve[3] feature also.

(1) http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/HtpasswdForm
(2) http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Blocklist
(3) http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UrlApprovals

Kathryn Andersen