[pmwiki-users] registration form

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Mon May 28 09:05:12 CDT 2007

Marguerite Floyd wrote,
> Before I get myself too confused . . . am I correct that I need to set
> up a database first and then install the code for a stand-alone code?
>
> What I'm trying to do is set up a registration page for user
> information and the assign them a password.
>
> The last batch of code at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserDbase#stand-alone seems to
> be what I'm looking for.  Do I paste this code into the cookbook or
> the config file?

Hi, Marguerite.  Unless you have a compelling reason to use a database
to store registration information -- for example, because you want to
use it in another program later -- you are better off not using a
database at all and just using the wiki's built-in storage mechanisms.

As for assigning passwords... I don't think AuthUserDbase does this; it
assumes people choose their own passwords.  It is possible to
auto-generate passwords using the ZAP recipe -- I am currently working
on a site that does this, and furthermore uses DataQuery rather than
AuthUserDbase to save all the registration data in a database -- but
that may be more complex than what you need.

It is very tempting when first starting out with PmWiki (or any other
software) to modify it to match your own expectations... I've done that
many a time.  I would encourage you to try using the software as it is
first and see if it might not meet your needs without modification.

Best of luck!!  --Ben