[pmwiki-users] Group Password Not retained, Forced to Enter for each page in Group?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun May 20 21:04:37 CDT 2007

I have on field that is acting strangely where particular group has

http://wiki.hindu.org/innersearch/I-2008-DN/GroupAttributes

set with both a read and edit password. If you go to the home
page it asks, as expected for the password. But, and this is not
expected.. .everytime you navigate to another  page in the same
group, it asks you again for the password upon attempting to
read any other page in the  same group, for which one has
already entered a password in the same session.

Now, if i do this on another field on the farm, during the same session
open in FireFox, if I enter the home page of the group, then navigate
to other pages in the group, I am only required to enter the password
upon entering the first page... PMwiki +PHP is remembering
and retaining the Auth session variable from the first time I fill
in the required password. This is the expected behavior. So
what is the difference?  We can't figure it out...

We just yesterday entered

We examined the config.php for both fields..  in the one that works:

$WikiTitle = 'Himalayan Academy Dev Wiki';
$DefaultPage ='HAP.SevaWikiHome';
$PubDirUrl = $FarmPubDirUrl;

if (@$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) $AuthId = $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'];

Then in the one that did not work we saw like this:

if (@$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) $AuthId = $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'];

$WikiTitle = 'Himalayan Academy Travel Study Programs';
$DefaultPage ='I-2008.AsianOdyssey2008';
$PubDirUrl = $FarmPubDirUrl;

to add some spice to the issues we just yesterday put

include_once('local/config.php'); ### <----- load wiki's customizations

a the top of the farmconfig.php.

And we have these recipes in effect, although
disabling them all did not fix the problem..

include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/cluster.php");
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/wsplus.php");
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/zap.php");
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/commentboxplus.php");

So, thinking that

if (@$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) $AuthId = $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'];

Should only be called *after* the defaultPage and PubDirUrl vars are
declared
(because it works in that field) we move it down below in the
travel study programs wiki...

Then quit Firefox, (is tthere some way to reset all sesson vars without
quitting the browser?)
and came back in..

Viola... it seemed now to work. We only had to enter the password once
in the
admin group of the travel study wiki... OK I like to verify issues and
try to repeat problems to really confirm things... so we put the

if (@$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) $AuthId = $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'];

line back at the top of config.php. and rebooted everything, and came
back in and now, ouch! we are required to enter the read/edit password
for every  page in the group, each time we try to go to any page in the
group.

Thinking now Aha! we got it... that $AuthID thing *must* be called only
after
the home page and $PubDirUrl's are set, we went back to config.php
and put

if (@$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) $AuthId = $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'];

below the opening lines again, think ... "OK, we got it!" but lo... the
travel study wiki did not respond this time... it is still requiring us to
put the password in for each page in the group. We tried
editing attributes for GroupAttributes, clearing, saving, quitting,
coming back
re-entering again, etc. but the issue still persists: required to enter
the password
for each page access in the group..

We gave up at that point PMwiki had us pinned squarely to the mat. 1,2,3,
and you are out. Back to this forum for help! We tried (smile)

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com