[pmwiki-users] genealogy with pmwiki ?

Knut Alboldt pmwiki at alboldt.de
Thu May 17 15:09:48 CDT 2007

Well I think, collecting the data isn't to hard:
- a group for persons, locations, date-tables etc
- one page per person, the fields could be adapted from other existing
good application (e.g PAF)
- like in PAF, a person's pagename should depend on an unique ID, not on
the person's name

some basic functions should be possible with pmwiki already
- linking form persons to person is also easy
- attachments are implemented
- data entry could be done in pmwiki-edit-mode or even better using one
of the form-recipes
- field specific searches
- flexible date parsing routine (just set one up for german date format,
  still testing)
- multi language support

the interesting things will be:
- creating tree-like reports
- import / export to other genealogy-apps in the std-format (forgot the
name, will look it up in PAF)

I like PAF, but I would prefer pmwiki cause
1. I use it for saving most of my data - private and business
2. we could customize/extend it like we want
3. it's more flexible than PAF regarding "external" data

maybe it's worth it to gather some of these specification on a
pmwiki.org-page (is a cookbook-entry the right place ?) to discuss this
or to gather the results of the discussion ?

Knut