[pmwiki-users] Allowable characters

Dave Cooke david at ellendee.co.uk
Mon May 14 04:47:56 CDT 2007

Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists <at> katspace.homelinux.org> writes:

> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 01:46:48PM +0000, Dave Cooke wrote:
> > Forgive me, someone has bound to have asked before, but is it possible to
> > extend the range of allowable characters in page names. In one example I
am
> > thinking of would require '(' to be treated as an upper case character or
> > start of word and ')' as end of word.- as in (xxx). So that each time the
page
> > name is located, printed viewed etc. the bracket characters are included.
>
> While it is possible to extend the range of allowable characters,
> making the '(' allowed would probably break the semantics of links,
> since '(' in a link is used to hide the display of part of the link.
>
> Like so:
>
> Suppose you have a page called MyVeryLongName
>
> If you have a link [[My(VeryLong) Name]] then the link is displayed as
> "My Name" but links to MyVeryLongName.
>
> I wouldn't want to mess with that.
>
> Kathryn Andersen

Thanks Kathryn, I think I'd get on a lot better and ask less dumb questions if
I read some of the basic philosophy of Wikis. I didn't appreciate the problem
with using round brackets but now I do I see its a good idea not to be
compromised.

FYI what I've done for the one page where I required it - the generally
accepted way of writing someones name, I used the (:title:) statement on the
page and that did just what I wanted!

Regards

Dave Cooke