[pmwiki-users] Best Blogging Software?

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri May 11 03:03:45 CDT 2007

Friday, May 11, 2007, 5:20:59 AM, Stirling Westrup wrote:

> I'd still like to use the core blogging support when it arrives. In the
> meantime I guess I'll use one of the existing blogging recipes, and then
> transition to the new core methods when they show up. So, my big question is:
> which of the many blogging recipes will give me something that is the easiest
> to convert to the core blog system, once it exists.

I guess nobody really knows that. I would say none will be easy to
convert, as each is quite a complex setup, and stores blog entries and
comments in its own fashion. Once we see Pm's new commenting feature
we can be clearer.

I just releases a new FoxForum version which uses display templates to
keep storage of comments (forum posts) and display of these separate.
I was thinking of using this as a base for  a blog system. It already
allows a different display template for the first post, which would be
the blog entry, from subsequent posts, which would be blog comments.

But I know this will still likely change with new features being added
to PmWiki. In particular the display templating is using
FeralFormattedEntry, and Pm said he will most likely extend the
(:include :) markup to be able to display data sections from a page
using a template.

So if I think about an easy way to upgrade a blog system in future, I
would be looking at the way blog entries and comments are stored, and
are formatted for display. The biggest work in a future
upgrade/changeover may well be to go through all page sand rewrite the
formatting to suit the new system. That is why I think with recipes like
BlogSimple which work with CommentBoxPlus the blogs are not going to
be easy to transform, as all the formatting is written into the pages.

  ~Hans