[pmwiki-users] How to include input from external program

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 30 17:17:12 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:42:36PM -0500, Russell Montgomery wrote:
> I would like for my page to include in its display input from an
> external program (perl scripts that return dates, times, Torah readings,
> ... based on Hebrew dates) as part of the content.  Ideally the input
> would be treated as any other wiki page so that the formatting could be
> controlled by Wiki commands.
>
> The only work around I've found to date is to set up a separate html
> page with server side includes and use the includeurl method but the
> formatting and fonts are different from PmWiki and Internet Explorer
> puts it in a white box instead of letting PmWiki (using Triad skin)
> control the background.

You could take a look at how IncludeUpload does it.

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/IncludeUpload

Mind you, that includes the content of HTML and text files, rather than
Wiki markup, but it does have an example of capturing the output of a
program (text to HTML conversion) so you could at least take that as a
starting point.

Also note that if you want the result of your command to be processed as
Wiki markup, you'll have to put it earlier in the sequence of processing
than directives usually are; I'm not sure whether that would cause you
problems.

Kathryn Andersen