[pmwiki-users] Permissions puzzle

Henrik henrik.bechmann at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 30 15:55:31 CDT 2007

Patrick:

> I'm not sure that a PHP configuration change alone can explain the
> entire issue.  It would help to know the ownerships for files created
> before the change versus the ownerships of the files being created
> after the change -- I suspect that the userid also changed in
> the process somewhere.

The ownership of all files and directories on the site (including all
subdomain directories) reflects the userid of the most recent ftp
account that I set up (sic!). Cpanel environment.

File permissions: before: 644; after: 666

> Were the directories really 755 permissions (as opposed to
> 775) before the upgrade occurred?
Yes
> If the directories were 755
> and the files created by PmWiki were 644, that would imply that
> previous PmWiki (and PHP) were running under your userid instead
> of the "nobody" or "www" user.
>
> Anyway, based on your description it looks like the PHP user may
> have changed somehow... but it's still odd.

Is that the User/Group under Apache in phpinfo? I take it that the
current setting (nobody(99)/99 is more usual? And the PmWiki advice of
2755 permission settings would apply?
>> If useful, you can see the php
>> configuration at dufferinpark.ca/phpinfo.php.
>>

> Actually, that page says you're running 5.0.5, not 5.2.1 .

That's even more bizarre! I hadn't noticed. They must have rolled back.
> All of this gets down to a question of file and directory ownerships --
> which is why it's important to know the before/after to be able
> to say what might have happened or changed.
>
> Pm

Thanks for your help.

- Henrik

--