[pmwiki-users] Numbers with / without shell access

Steve Glover steve at fell-services.net
Tue Mar 27 09:29:54 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 15:41 +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Oliver Betz wrote:
>
> > which editor do you use that isn't capable of accessing files directly
> > via FTP?
>
> Notepad?  ;-)

There's a difference between coding machismo and coding masochism....

I guess I just don't like using text editors' integral FTP. It's maybe a
matter of "this was more trouble than it was worth X years ago, and I've
not gone back and retried it lately".

I'm more likely to use an FTP client that I can use over SSH and tell
which editor I like to use for each filetype. But even so, for editing
of remote files, they're still downloaded and uploaded again - and
there's still the need to reset the permissions on the files once
they're uploaded.

Steve Glover at                          email: steve at fell-services.net
SDSS, EDINA, University of Edinburgh,          tel: +44 (0)131-650 2908
Causewayside House, 160 Causewayside,          fax: +44 (0)131-650 3308
Edinburgh EH9 1PR                          mobile: +44 (0) 7961 446 902