[pmwiki-users] Numbers with / without shell access

Steve Glover steve at fell-services.net
Tue Mar 27 03:42:14 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 17:06 -0400, Sandy wrote:
> I'm (slowly) writing a short walk-through of pmwiki, and realized that
> most of the instructions for installation and backups assume shell
> access.
>
> So, is there a need for non-shell instructions?

What I've tended to do with software when I don't have shell access to
the server is set it up on a local machine (I'd like to stick in a plug
for XAMPP here, and XAMPP Lite in particular - you can have your whole
site on a USB stick and run everything from there without needing to
install anything) and then use FTP to move everything across to the
"production" machine once it's good to go.

If it doesn't work at that point it's usually because there are minor
tweaks needed to the configuration (a pain, because you have to go
through a download/edit/upload cycle), and for some applications (not
PmWiki) you need to remember to reset file permissions.

Steve Glover at                          email: steve at fell-services.net
SDSS, EDINA, University of Edinburgh,          tel: +44 (0)131-650 2908
Causewayside House, 160 Causewayside,          fax: +44 (0)131-650 3308
Edinburgh EH9 1PR                          mobile: +44 (0) 7961 446 902