[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:14:42 CDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Based on a number of recent events, I'm thinking of switching the PmWiki
> default in 2.2.0 so that leading whitespace characters no longer produce
> preformatted text.

I think that's a good choice, but the transition will probably be tricky.
The sites I work with are using leading whitespace to some degree.

Further down in this thread, a conversion script is suggested - I think
that's a good idea as well. Not sure if it's possible though.. How do you
implement:

 	Line starting at leftmost column (just ignore the first tab!)
 	   Line with three leading white spaces
 	 Line with one leading white space
 		Line with a leading tab.

as regular pmwiki markup?

Another alternative might be something that temporarily flags lines with
leading whitespace by changing the background or something. That would
make these lines stand out more prominently, making it easier to fix old
pages.

Finally, it'd be good if it was possible to get a list of pages that
contain leading whitespace. (And I don't just mean matches to / +$/ as
that could be a line embedded within [@...@] which is alread dealt with).

Best regards
/Christian