[pmwiki-users] calendars and contact lists

Lindsay Todd toddr at rpi.edu
Wed Mar 21 19:06:30 CDT 2007

Hans wrote:
> Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 11:39:32 PM, Lindsay wrote:
>

>> Anyone have a suggestion on how I could get a calendar that efficiently
>> constructs entries from page text variables of pages in a Contacts (or
>> People) group?  Or some other approach that is efficient and will be
>> flexible enough to allow me to correct dates I've entered, without
>> having to remember to also correct the corresponding calendar pages?
>>

> What is a calendar?
> With the power of pagelist we could create a list of entries ordered
> by page text variable Date:  or Birthday: from Contacts pages.
> Now the challenge is to format the pagelist output so the resulting
> list or table looks like a calendar. For a start perhaps a listing
> by one day per line. How can empty day lines be created with this new
> calendarlist fmt for pagelist?

Ah, that is an out-of-the-box idea.  Use a pagelist to collect and sort
the calendar data.  This is useful even as an ordered list, and probably
even if dates are completely omitted that don't have events associated
with them.

Then, create some sort of calendar mark-up that formats this into a
"calendar".  This would solve problems beyond what I proposed.  For
instance, many blogs have "calendars" linking to posts.  The same
calendar mark-up could make this, just by using a different pagelist.

R. Lindsay Todd                      email: toddr at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer            phone: 518-276-2605
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute     fax:   518-276-2809
Troy, NY 12180-3590                  WWW:   http://www.rpi.edu/~toddr

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are
solely those of the author. The message contents have not been
reviewed or approved by Rensselaer.