[pmwiki-users] How do *you* like to edit data pages?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 21 17:55:59 CDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:31:09PM -0500, Ben Stallings wrote:

> 3) The EditDataPages recipe presents a third way: put the form in the
> group's EditForm page instead of in the GroupHeader.  If you view the
> page, you see the contents of the record (thanks to the GroupHeader),
> but you don't see the form until you click the wiki's Edit link.  This
> technique allows the admin to restrict editing permissions and the users
> to edit pages just as if the data pages were ordinary wiki pages.  I'm
> partial to this paradigm, but I realize it's not right for every situation.

4) WikiForms is very similar to (3)
* defines the form content via the FormTemplate (very clumsy, but the
  equivalent and nicer idea would basically to have a FormTemplate which
  is the actual look-and-feel template of the form)
* controls the display of the data with the ViewTemplate (though the
  equivalent is done with DataQuery anyway, since the data is hidden and
  its display is done by using the variables in the GroupHeader)
* when adding new data, has a (:wikiform:) directive, which you can put
  onto any page, which will give you an empty form which, on submit
  will give you a new "record".
* has an editform action, which takes the record ID from the name of the
  page you're looking at, which then uses the FormTemplate to give you
  a form rather than the default Edit window.  That way one can have
  both ways of editing available.

Kathryn Andersen
-=-=-=-=-
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
		-- R. Heinlein