[pmwiki-users] PmWiki forum...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 18 10:53:33 CDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 11:45:50AM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 3/18/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >6.  Since many of the recipe pages already have a "Questions answered
> >    by this recipe" section, a little bit of structure added to
> >    those sections would make it possible to use a pagelist to
> >    show the questions answered by the recipes within each topic.
>
> How would you deal with multiple questons on a recipe page?  Maybe an
> #begin#end include?  Some recipes answer several questions...

I was thinking along the lines of a #begin#end include, yes.
That's what the existing FAQ does.

> >7.  We then return to my earlier idea to have a form that makes it
> >    easy for people to post questions as new pages in the cookbook.
>
> Also, questions could be automatically posted to the PmWiki mailing
> list so folks can be alerted to the new questions, discuss the
> question, and when there's a final solution, it can be posted to the
> cookbook page.

I'd prefer to not have posts automatically go to the mailing list.
We have enough traffic here as it is.  It also becomes a huge
conduit for potential email spam, since the posts would be coming
from the wiki account and not the person posting the question.

> Can't wait Pm.  I think it will be a huge improvement.  I'd also
> suggest we drop the FAQ link or have it point to the cookbook home
> page (topic list)...

Granted that the PmWiki.Questions page is dysfunctional, I still
haven't understood what it is that you think is so awful about
the PmWiki.FAQ pages.  I think it's worth keeping around, if
only because it allows common questions to be placed directly
into documentation pages.

But more to the point, I've noticed thatn whenever I add a
new question+answer to the PmWiki.FAQ, that question just doesn't
seem to get asked anymore, either on the mailing list or in
other sources.  To me, that indicates that the PmWiki.FAQ
is very effective, because people are finding the answers they
are looking for.